Sunday, September 26, 2010

Wie sieht mein Leben in 10 Jahren aus?

Where do I see myself in 10 years?


In 10 years, I will be 31. If all goes as planned, I will be living in Germany, continuing work on developing my voice and stage presence with voice teachers and coaches. If I am lucky, I will be hired by an opera house. Most likely, I will *just* be entering the professional world. The voice will just need a few more years before it is fully developed. Hopefully I will have found an agent who really knows their stuff. And hopefully the opera world will still be alive. Hopefully opera houses, its patrons, directors, and conductors will have recognized that putting pretty, young singers is NOT bringing a newer, larger, younger audience. Perhaps we will see the pendulum swing and a new golden era of singers take stage. Maybe then the honor of classical singing can be restored and its ability to revitalize a public reinstated.


It is hard to imagine my life across a distance of many years and many miles and a big ol' ocean. My life will undoubtedly be one that is international. In the meantime, I might be studying all around Europe: Italy, Austria, France? I will need to build my language skills in German, Italian, and French in order to be a serious musician and a smart business woman. Being able to sing and speak in these foreign languages is essential for interpretation of text and music; ability to perform convincingly to a foreign audience; networking with teachers, coaches, directors, and colleagues; and adapting to a multicultural world.


I will be spending several hours in the practice room, strengthening my technique and acquiring new repertoire. I need to go to the theatre, listen to recordings, watch performances, and read books. What is missing from this picture?


Art is a profession that requires a lot of time alone, a lot of self-evaluation and reflection. I believe that many musicians get caught up in the race to perfect their instrument and lose sight of the ultimate goal. Without communication to the audience, what purpose does this art have? Singing for yourself is no fault, it can be a therapeutic and beautiful thing, BUT this is not the point of opera or of art song. I think that many of my colleagues have lost other people. A genuine caring and understanding of other people and the society they live in is essential to any singer who wants to use classical music as a way to speak to an audience, to keep the music relevant, and who wants to portray their character in depth.


I find my background in GWSS to be absolutely invaluable in my quest to become a professional singer. Female characters in opera are completely reflective of women's status of their times. Understanding the history of oppression and liberation of women gives me unique insight in characterizing the music of my role. Through GWSS, I have gained a means of relating to these women. Additionally, I feel empowered in chasing my career. In reading autobiographies of famous female opera singers, I found that many of these women were surprised by the need to really own their voices and bodies. They had to take ownership of themselves, lest risk their talent and money and authorship be used and mishandled by others. 


Additionally, through GWSS studies, I realize my own agency. I have developed a way of making my own choices and feeling empowered in those choices. I can make the choice to have a career or not, to marry or not, to have children or not. I know that there is a place in this society for the kind of life I want to lead. I will not stand for intolerance and will demand much more than just tolerance. While I pursue my own quests in life, I know that I can and will reserve energy to help defend the rights of others, to care for others, and to fight injustices. Through GWSS, I have learned that this is not an expenditure of energy, but instead one that gives right back, that gives forward. 


I am excited to explore the world and to create my own history. I am prepared for the battle of pursuing a career in music and balancing the home life I want with this demanding career. There is much that lies ahead...

No comments:

Post a Comment