Saturday, October 2, 2010

Diversity Dialog

I am excited to hear what the women at ICIW brought up in their dialog. How will it compare to ours? And what did they have to say about college students????? Really interested to hear those responses.

I thought our diversity dialog was a success. I felt really comfortable with you ladies (I always do) and was also very pleased to know that being 'pc' was NOT part of this discussion. It can sometimes be difficult to grasp and properly use all the GWSS lingo.

I am glad we spent a lot of time talking about our 'invisible' identities. It seems that we were all able to identify with each other's situations to an extent....but what is interesting to me is how we prioritize our experiences or identities. Especially if we are in minority situations, we might be more prone to analyze a situation through that identity lens (or a certain combination of identities), whereas another person might have different gut responses based on their personal experiences.

Happy to see I am not the only person who struggles so often with over-compensation. I am very certain that over-compensation is going to rule me when we're in the prison, at *least* for the first few visits. I appreciated L's confirmation that this is part of breaking the cycle of socialization.

Ready to get back to IWIS with you fine women. How's the other volunteer stuff coming along? I sang with the men's choir last Tuesday for the first time. Lots of differences and similarities. I was mostly surprised by the way the prison physically hides itself even though it's SO close to free life...

1 comment:

  1. I even caught myself over-compensating at the prison this week by smiling and saying hi to the women walking around outside, when I likely wouldn't do this in another setting. So I was glad we'd talked about this in the Diversity Dialogue Circle!

    ReplyDelete